From: cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com
[mailto:cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com]On Behalf Of Edwin
Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2004 4:57 PM
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: X server hangs on startup

Ken Dibble <kdibbleNOSPAM <at> alltel.net> writes:

> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2004-07/msg00192.html
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2004-07/msg00181.html
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2004-07/msg00161.html
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2004-07/msg00158.html
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2004-07/msg00150.html
>
> Edwin Goei wrote:
>
> > When I run xinit.exe, the X server starts but hangs.  I saw a thread
> > that attributed this to Zonealarm which I am also using (version
> > 5.1.011.000).  I never saw a resolution to the problem.  Is the
> > workaround to use a different firewall program?  If so, what firewall
> > should I use?

Thanks for the refs.  I'm using ZoneAlarm Pro 5 now, anyone know how to get
the
older version 4.5?  I can't find it on the zonelabs.com site.  I also want
to be
protected by a personal firewall.

BTW, is anyone working on a workaround/fix?  Apparently other firewalls like
Norton also cause problems with the X server.

-Edwin