Re: installing a window manager - help please - answers to helpersquestions

Ian.McIntosh@dli.wa.gov.au wrote:

Ok, thankyou to all the replies so far - I appreciate it very much.  It's
still not working but here are the answers to your questions:

From Ken Dibble -

Immediately after you do the install (i.e. before you make changes),
what happens when you double-click startxwin.bat?

It starts X (I get the X in the toolbar) and a basic bash terminal window. ---------------------------------------------
From Thomas Chadwick -

Have you found/read this?
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using.html#using-starting

Yep, but all it says is the different ways of starting, none of which bring up a window manager with the ability to do things like spawn a new xterm. This is where I start to feel frustrated, because it seems that you're implying that this part of the guide tells you how to do that, but I can't for the life of me see where. ------------------------------
From Fergus -
<edited for brevity>
3.   /usr/X11R6/bin/run /usr/X11R6/bin/XWin -nolisten local -multiwindow
    /bin/xterm -display localhost:0.0

Ok, I tried that, and what happens is that I get a background (i.e. the
start of what might eventually become a window manager!) and then in a
different Windows window I get an xterm.  This xterm is also copied as an
embedded xterm in the background, and I can type commands in either and
they are reflected in the other.  If I shut one then the other shuts. I
can't right click on the background and create another xterm.

Thanks again, and any other suggestions are very welcome,
Ian

I'm a little confused by the copying of xterms and the reflection of commands between xterms.

what happens when you try "xterm &" in a x-term window?