Re: startx hangs on WinXP, xinit doesn't

More details - I tried to debug the problem (as much
as I could) and this is what I found out. First I
found out how startx calls xinit -

xinit /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc -- \
-multiwindow -clipboard

Since this exact command starts X every time with no
problem I looked at the output when running startx and
xinit - the only difference is that with xinit I call
more routines - here is the diff

$ diff startx.out xinit.out
46a47,51
> winInitClipboard ()
> winProcEstablishConnection - winInitClipboard
returned.
> winClipboardProc - Hello
> DetectUnicodeSupport - Windows NT/2000/XP
> winClipboardProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
51a57,62
> winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and
successfully opened the display.
> winMultiWindowXMsgProc - XOpenDisplay () returned
and successfully opened the display.
> winProcSetSelectionOwner - Clipboard not yet
started, aborting.
> winProcSetSelectionOwner - Clipboard not yet
started, aborting.
> winInitMultiWindowWM - XOpenDisplay () returned and
successfully opened the display.

The only difference in the execution of the two is the
environment so I experimented and finally I commented
this portion of startx script -

if [ x"$XAUTHORITY" = x ]; then
    XAUTHORITY="$HOME/.Xauthority"
    export XAUTHORITY
fi

Once I commented that out I get X to start correctly
and the output is the same as it is with xinit on its
own. It's been long time since I worked with X - any
ideas why XAUTHORITY set makes startx to hang ?
thanks

--pv