Re: startx hangs on WinXP, xinit doesn't

Hello, pv.

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:29:04 -0700 (PDT) p v wrote:

[snip]

> The only difference in the execution of the two is the
> environment so I experimented and finally I commented
> this portion of startx script -
>
> if [ x"$XAUTHORITY" = x ]; then
>     XAUTHORITY="$HOME/.Xauthority"
>     export XAUTHORITY
> fi
>
> Once I commented that out I get X to start correctly
> and the output is the same as it is with xinit on its
> own. It's been long time since I worked with X - any
> ideas why XAUTHORITY set makes startx to hang ?
> thanks

Was that really copied verbatim?  If so, then there's the problem.

For a _test_ of equality, there should be two equal signs, not one.  One
equal sign is an assignment, not a test.  What that "if" is testing is
whether the assignment succeeds or not, not whether there really is an
XAUTHORITY or not, and odds are that's what's wrong.

-ArielMT

--
"The most humbling achievement of the past millennium, I believe, is the
evolution of the simplest form of communication: the written letter.
>From courier to post to telegram to fax to email, each advancement has
made the awesome power of writing more accessible than ever before."
-Ariel Millennium Thornton, Spokesman and Mascot, Thornton 2 Productions