Re: new font support (was: fonts and symbolic links)

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Jack Tanner wrote:

> Ago and Igor,
>
> If I understand your recent work correctly, Cygwin/X will (as of the next
> release) support using TTF fonts and will automatically have access to the
> fonts installed under Windows. This is exciting... I think. But can you
> explain the actual impact of this?

AFAIU, you will be able to use TTF fonts in your X applications.

> (What applications would be able to use this,

All of them.

> under what circumstances, where could they be running, and how could a
> user make this happen?)

They could be running anywhere, as long as you specify the right font name
to the application.  In other words, you'd be able to open an xterm off
your Linux machine with the font name of a Windows TTF font, and it should
work as long as the X server understands the font name and can render it.

The easiest way to test it would be to open a remote xterm, run xfontsel
(or xlsfonts) locally, copy the font name, then use the font menu of the
xterm (Ctrl-right-click), and choose "Selection".

> Thanks for all your hard work.
>
> P.S. Does anybody know if you can post to the mailing list via
> gmane.org's web interface?

According to the GMane posting page (<http://gmane.org/post.php>), "To
post to a list, you can use the news interface or the web interface."
Haven't done it myself, though.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw