Re: Cygwin/X and emacs always hangs..

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Bram Kivenko wrote:

> The newest release of xorg-x11 that I just downloaded from
> mirrors.kernel.org *still* exhibits the same problem of hanging when I
> run emacs.

There have been no changes regarding this problem.

> The particular version of emacs does not matter.  It hangs
> when I run either gnu-emacs or xemacs remotely from a linux box or when
> I run cygwin ports locally.
>
> I just downloaded and recompiled the newest version of gnu-emacs on my
> linux box and it works when I run it off the Xserver on the box.  But
> Cygwin/X hangs within minutes of using it.  It definitely has something
> to do with the clipboard.  But when I first start X, emacs can use the
> clipboard.  Some unknown event makes X intolerable of emacs' usage of
> the clipboard.

You could try compiling the xserver with special debugging options:
get the source from cvs

$ cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.freedesktop.org:/cvs/xorg login
CVS password: <hit return>
$ cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.freedesktop.org:/cvs/xorg co -P -rXORG-6_8_0 xc

this will extrat the sources to the directory xc.

add this to xc/config/cf/host.def:
#define OptimizedCDebugFlags   -ggdb3 -O2 -fno-strength-reduce -DCYGDEBUG=YES
#define BuildFonts NO
#define BuildServersOnly YES

run "make World" from the xc directory.

you can now start XWin with
programs/Xserver/XWin.exe [the options you use normally] -logverbose 10

This should print a logmessage whenever a windows message (including the
clipboard messages) is received and some other debugging information.
maybe this gives a clue what causes the lockup.

> I don't use any fancy run-options.  And it doesn't matter if I use
> -clipboard or not, -multiwindow or not.  It's the same thing.

Any clipboard related errors should vanish if you omit the -clipboard
parameter.

bye
	ago
--