Re: cygwin/x symantec antivirus conflict

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 09:40:38AM -0400, Philip Gladstone wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>><>On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 10:36:22PM -0400, Philip Gladstone wrote:
>>>The slowness that I see with Symantec Antivirus is due to the 'select'
>>>emulation in cygwin. Whenever XWin.exe does a select (which is nearly
>>>all the time), the select emulation creates a new thread, creates a new
>>>TCP socket and then connects to it. I suspect that the Symantec firewall
>>>is getting in the picture here and making this a very slow operation.
>>
>>Cygwin should not be actually creating threads in this scenario.  It
>>should be reusing thread from a thread pool.
>>
>>If there are a lot of sockets being waited on (which doesn't seem to
>>be the case here) then the pool could be exhausted and new threads could
>>be created.  If that was the issue then we could bump up the size of
>>the thread pool.
>
>It doesn't seem to the be the cost of creating the thread, but creating
>the socket.

Ok.  I've changed the algorithm in select.  It only opens a DGRAM socket
now, one time per thread.  It uses this to terminate the socket thread,
if necessary.  This socket is never closed until the thread terminates.

It sounds like this would more or less fix the problem that you're
seeing.  Would you mind trying a new snapshot?

http://cygwin.com/snapshots/

cgf