Re: xterm crash upon large paste

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Zach Gelnett wrote:

> When attempting to do a large paste into an xterm window I find that the
> window crashes.

Don't paste large buffers into xterms.  This is a long-standing problem --
I believe the buffer size is currently 64k, and it was increased from 16k
a while ago.  There was also a patch that fixed it, but it's not included
in the newer Cygwin version because it wasn't forward-ported.  See
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2002-q4/msg00012.html> for details.

> The info I just tried to paste has 852 lines, the text total around 31k
> bytes.

It's probably in Unicode, which puts it at around the current buffer size.

> I'm just trying to paste it into a new text file in Vim.
>
> My current work around is to just paste it into windows notepad save,
> then sftp the file to the server (I've ssh'ed to a server where I'm
> pasting the file but the issue happens if I'm doing it locally too) and
> do some sort of dos2unix magic.
>
> Is some variable just being overrun?

As I understand it, this is just an issue of not reading from the buffer
until all of the data has been written.  When the buffer fills up, the
code deadlocks.  Your workaround is as good as any...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw