Re: Cygwin/X and loggin on remote server

Jani Tiainen wrote:
I've used cygwin/x to use remote wm and tools for a long time, and I use connection via SSH tunnel since connection between machines are not secured.

Now I would like to provide more generic way to login on remote machine, I can do this with startxwin.bat but I want to close initial _local_ xterm used to get login & password prompt after it has fired up session... How can be this done...?

Well let's narrow down this problem...

I've following batch file at desktop, that I run by doubleclicking:

---[runxwin.bat begin]----
@echo off
SET DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
SET CYGWIN_ROOT=d:\cygwin
SET PATH=.;%CYGWIN_ROOT%\bin;%CYGWIN_ROOT%\usr\X11R6\bin;%PATH%
SET XAPPLRESDIR=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults
SET XCMSDB=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Xcms.txt
SET XKEYSYMDB=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB
SET XNLSPATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale
if not exist %CYGWIN_ROOT%\tmp\.X11-unix\X0 goto CLEANUP-FINISH
attrib -s %CYGWIN_ROOT%\tmp\.X11-unix\X0
del %CYGWIN_ROOT%\tmp\.X11-unix\X0

:CLEANUP-FINISH
if exist %CYGWIN_ROOT%\tmp\.X11-unix rmdir %CYGWIN_ROOT%\tmp\.X11-unix

run XWin -fullscreen -clipboard -silent-dup-error

run xterm -ms red -fg white -bg black -e "/usr/bin/ssh -f -Y -p 22022 myname@my.ip.net \~/.xsession && exit"

---[runxwin.bat end]---

at Linux side (Debian Sarge) I have .xsession with following lines:

---[.xsession begin]---
xterm &
fcwm4 --daemon
exec fxce4-panel
---[.xsession end]---

Now what happens? Initial, local xterm window is shown and I enter mypasswd. This far things work well.

Then I have found out two different end situations depending on exit and contents in .xsession :

I endup having initial login screen as empty, but sticking on desktop and everything is working

Whole SSH tunnel disappeares and I'm left with empty X root.