slow xterm startup

This is not a new issue, but at some point in the past year or so, my
xterm startup time got much much longer. I never really thought about it
until now because I thought I just needed to defrag my hard drive or
something, but I've just done a whole bunch of spring cleaning and it's
still slow. I'm talking about starting a *local* xterm -- starting one
forwarded from a remote machine takes under 2 seconds, even over a slow
cablemodem connection. Starting a local xterm takes about 50seconds, if
its the first one, during which time it's accessing the HDD continuously.
If I start another xterm immediately afterwards then I guess all the files
are in the memory cache so it doesn't touch the HDD but still takes about
20seconds. Other X progs don't take anything like so long (xev, xeyes,
emacs). It's a 866MHz pentium III, and everything else about Cygwin/X has
good performance.

I'm not sure whether it happened when I upgraded from cygwin setup, or
made some other change to my system. I have, however, tried disabling the
windows firewall, and unchecked the "enable filesystem realtime
protection" in norton antivirus (corporate edition, version 7.60.926) and
neither of these actions made any difference. As far as I can tell, there
are no references to network shares in my path or elsewhere. I think these
exhaust the FAQ reasons for poor performance.

During the delay while xterm is starting up, windows task manager lists
the process xterm.exe as using 97% of the processor time.

One thing that may (or may not) be related to the problem is that xterm
seems to be linked a lot of times to cygXt-6.dll:
$ cygcheck -v /bin/xterm.exe | grep cygXt-6.dll | wc -l
   2141

Full cygcheck -v /bin/xterm.exe output is attached to this message. Is it
possible that this is the reason? I assume this output of cygcheck -v is
similar to what I get from ldd -v on a linux box, which does not have the
same level of duplication.

Any other ideas of things I might look into?

Thanks,
Lev