Re: Why Xming.exe?

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 11:21:07PM +0100, ?yvind Harboe wrote:
>I saw Chris post, and I must admit I was a bit put off by it.
>
>I believe Xming.exe addresses some issues that should and could
>be addressed by CygWin.
>
>Threatening to fire him(in public no less), is counterproductive,
>unthankful and rude.

I was not threatening to fire anyone.  I was asking if Alexander was
going to be devoting most of his time to this new endeavor and, if so,
wondering whether we needed to find another maintainer for Cygwin/X.  It
sounded like he had some major plans for Xming.

If Alexander says "No" (as I expect him to) then that's the end of it.
If he's more interested in pursuing a native-windows version of X,
then I guess we have a problem.

>A fruitful discussion on Xming.exe could help enumerate what issues
>Xming.exe addresses and how CygWin could grow to address them.

You *do* know that there is a mingw mailing list specifically designed
for MingGW applications, right?  We don't discuss MinGW in the cygwin
list.  I don't see any reason why we should have to discuss MinGW here.
I'll bet that the MinGW folks would not mind creating a MinGW/X mailing
list just for this endeavor.

However, on the off chance that I'm being hasty, why don't you give me a
"for instance" of what you think a discussion of Xming would do to help
Cygwin?  From my point of view, it seems like it would be the other way
around.  It seems like there would be a lot of discussion about the best
way to handle things in a native windows app that are already handled in
the Cygwin DLL.  This is what I see in the MinGW mailing list.

cgf