Re: xorg installation fails, 99% complete only

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, bruno patin wrote:

> Christopher,
>
> I'm not understanding really well what to do (you know my proficiency in
> english is not so perfect as to understand really everything). I understand
> that you think that to open for writing a name where the directory do no exist
> could provoke problems. It would explain the non blocking exception (am I
> right ?) that occurs and loops indefinitely (is it what you think ?). What of
> the fact that the error occurs only after being able to write a given number
> of file in this directory (around ten files where created) ? what of the fact
> that when you do not install only one file before (like cron) you are able to
> write one more file in this directory ? I'm not sufficiently proficient in the
> cygwin coding to answer these questions.
>
> So my work is to begin a new complete install with the new packages. Do I have
> to reload all of them ? only xorg related packages ?
>
> What I intend to do is begin again the first test described under with the
> reloaded x11 files. Is it what you want ?

> To summarize what I did when testing and the problems I saw (I do that not
> only for repeating but also to have all the datas on only one mail)
>
> 1/ complete test
>
> I have a local version of all the cygwin distro (got at mirrors.sunsite.dk)
> I begin by deleting my cygwin root on the disk but not the entries of the
> registry
> I launch setup selecting everything
>
> Arriving at the file:
>
> /usr/X11R6/share/doc/Cygwin/xorg-x11-fscl-6.8.1.0.README
>
> setup enters a loop delivering the log message one after the other indefintely
> (view through ollydbg)

> LOG : 1 Installing file
> cygfile:///usr/X11R6/share/doc/Cygwin/xorg-x11-fscl-6.8.1.0.README for writing
> LOG : 2  failed too open
> cygfile:///usr/X11R6/share/doc/Cygwin/xorg-x11-fscl-6.8.1.0.README for writing
>
> The second message is issued through an exception
>
> You can see two things increasing with the same speed, the memory consumed and
> the handlers.
> when cancelled, the message issued by setup is
>
> "cannot open log file c:\cygwin/var/log/setup.log for writing"
>
> another box opens but disappear too fast for me to give you the message
>
> With this test, no setup.log is created at all
>
> This test has been conducted with these different changes:
>
> I changed the rights of the /var directory with chmod a+w with no effect
> (because of the absence of setup)
> I changed the TEMP and TMP variables values (erasing blanks of the names)
>
> 2/ successive setup
>
> I conducted a first setup without X11 and a second with only X11 .It worked
> fine with setup.log created
>
> 3/ complete test with one file (cron) not installed
>
> The behaviour is exactly the same as in first test with only the file on which
> it stopped as a difference. That is t loops on the next file to write:
>
> xorg-x11-fsrv-6.8.1.0.README

> [...]

One question that should have been asked long before: is your disk full?
Do you perhaps have quotas enabled?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT