Re: Can't get startwin.bat to work

Mike McCollister wrote:

> It works fine if I open it up using a cygwin shell.  That is not the problem.
> When I run form a Windows cmd and run startxwin.bat, it does not work.  I've
> tried to do it manually with this command:
>
> run XWin -clipboard -silent-dup-error
>
> no xwindow comes up with the checkered background.
>
> If I do this from within bash:
>
> XWin -clipboard -silent-dup-error &
>
> A little more research shows that at the cmd line that if I do not use the run,
> then the Xwindows screen will come up but I can't startup the xterm since this
> is not returned to the prompt.  I've tried:
>
> start /b XWin -clipboard -silent-dup-error
>
> and this works great!!!!  It looks as if the run command is broken.
>
> In summary, the run command does not seem to work.  the start /b option is the
> thing to use, at least with Windows 2000.

There is a small drawback with run.exe. The windowed mode does not work
properly. You can start XWin with -nodecoration or -multiwindow or -rootless
which all work fine. But the windowed mode will not work. This is because
run is designed to supress the console window. Somehow windows supresses the
x11 window too. I've not been able to track this down yet.

bye
        ago
NP: Welle Erdball - Frontalaufprall
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723