1,440 symbolic links

The tree /etc/X11/xserver contains 720 symbolic links. The vast majority of of them are locale specific and point to the directory /etc/X11/xserver/C. The only thing in /etc/X11/xserver/C is a tree called
print.

The tree /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver seems to be identical to /etc/X11/xserver.

My question is: can I get rid of all those symbolic links? The reason that I ask is that I'm using Fergus' instructions for building a CD from which cygwin can be run (http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-07/msg01117.html). Because ISO-9660 file system does not support symbolic links, the technique for handling them is to create copies of everything that is symbolically linked. For /etc/X11/xserver that means about 998 MB of disk on an ntfs file system with a respectable blocking factor. /usr/X11R6/lib/xserver also takes up that much space. My hope is that X has a respectable default, something like if localization file can't be read, use /etc/X11/xserver/C (or /usr/X11R6/lib/xserver/C). Or, maybe /etc/X11/xserver/C/print really is for printing (the tree seems to contain printer specs), and if I don't want to print, I can get rid of it all.

I've tried poking around at X.org, but can't seem to find documenation tha's appropriate. I'd be grateful for any of the following:

  - simple answer such as "delete with impunity - it doesn't matter"
  - point me to appropriate documentation
  - point me to appropriate sections of the source code.

Thanks,

Dick

Dick Repasky
Bioinformatics Support