Re: More X11 error messages

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004, Daniel Newhouse wrote:

> I'm cross posting since the X11 developers blame
> everything on the cywin setup.exe

FYI, you didn't, as you misspelled "cygwin" in the list address as well.
But see below.

> When I try to install it is at 94%(installing everything) and the file
> that I get a hangup at is etc/postinstall/xorg-x11-fnts.sh
>
> When I click cancel on the installation I am then given another error
>
> Cannot open file C:\cygwin\var\log\setup.log

I think this would be very indicative of the problem.  Can you create a
c:\cygwin\var\log\setup.log via another program (e.g., notepad)?  Are all
the components in the above path executable by your user?  Is
c:\cygwin\var\log writeable?

> This is a good time to reiterate the fact that the log file that is
> supposed to be generated by the cygwin installation is not generated on
> my computer.

Umm, of course, that's what the above message states.

> I am of course, using XP SP 2.
>
> I don't expect anyone to help anymore, I am just reporting what goes
> wrong.

Most of the earlier reports of this exact problem were answered in the
same exact way as I've just answered you.  There were no further replies.

> And yeah, I tried installing cygwin without x11 first and that doesn't
> help.
>
> Probably because most people don't install all the packages, which I
> must do.

The two statements above are not connected in any way.  Installing Cygwin
without X11 first doesn't preclude you from installing all the packages.
Theoretically, installing everything at once and everything in two parts
should produce equivalent installations.  The technique of splitting the
install process is simply a workaround for a known (and currently being
worked on) bug in setup.exe.

HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT