Re: Newbie problem

m. z. wrote:

> I made a full installation oj Cygwin, but when I double clicked on startxwin
> just an X icon appeared on the Windows bar.
> I read the cygwin-x user manual and I tried all the options for the XWin.exe
> command. What I was expecting to obtain it was something similar to the
> picture of Cygwin X window manager at
> http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/apps/cygwin/en/index.html , but nothing of it
> appeared.

What you've seen there is the KDE desktop running on windows.

The default startup of Cygwin/X will just start the xserver and enables it to
show every X11 window in its own Windows window.

If you want a desktop with Gnome or KDE then check out

http://kde-cygwin.sf.net
http://cygnome.sf.net

or you could install the WindowMaker windowmanager and adjust startxwin.bat to
not start XWin with the -multiwindow switch and start wmaker (i think twm is
the commented default)

With the current setting you can install the X-startmenu-icons and you'll get
an entry Cygwin/X in the startmenu with shortcuts to a lot of installed programs
from xorg-x11.

bye
        ago

NP: Die Ärzte - Eines Tages Werde Ich Mich Räc
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723