Re: I've lost cut and paste - any ideas why?

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Kensuke Matsuzaki wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > If your environment on the other end is a UTF-8 locale, then some of the
> > selections will use a UTF-8 string.  I don't know offhand if the Cygwin/X
> > server supports that, but the clients don't since Cygwin doesn't support
> > UTF-8 locales.
>
> If linux side program supports CTEXT or UTF_STRING, you can use any locale.
> (And xterm, emacs, mozilla etc supports CTEXT)
>
> If you use programs that use only XA_STRING in UTF-8 locale, maybe copy and
> pasted multibyte text will broken. But gtk and qt supports CTEXT, so a few
> program have problem.

I could verify that it's gdm which causes the problems.

winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
winProcEstablishConnection - Xdmcp enabled, waiting to start clipboard client un
til fourth call.
winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
winProcEstablishConnection - Xdmcp enabled, waiting to start clipboard client un
til fourth call.
winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
winProcEstablishConnection - Xdmcp enabled, waiting to start clipboard client un
til fourth call.
winInitClipboard ()
winProcQueryTree - winInitClipboard returned.
winClipboardProc - Hello
DetectUnicodeSupport - Windows NT/2000/XP
winClipboardProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:1.0
winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
winProcEstablishConnection - Clipboard client already launched, returning.
winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
winProcSetSelectionOwner - Clipboard not yet started, aborting.
winProcSetSelectionOwner - Clipboard not yet started, aborting.

winClipboardIOErrorHandler!

winClipboardProc - setjmp returned for IO Error Handler.
winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress

There are too many clients connecting before the actual login process connects.
I'm thinking about various solutions:

o make the number of clients configurable (it is hardcoded to 4 now)
  - quite easy work
  - not very userfriendly
o make clipboard thread recover from errors (shutdown and restart)
  - very hard to build
  - will work in all cases

Number 1 is something I will come up in the next days. The second needs at least
some days to come up wit a clear design and even longer to implement and test.

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de