Re: X application crush in korean environment. Korean environment is 'LANG=ko'.

On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 12:20:22PM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
>On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, KuYa White wrote:
>>I'm a newbie and korean.  A few days ago, I installed cygwin and
>>cygwin-xfree package.  And then, I changed locale 'LANG=ko' for korean.
>>Simply, I executed xterm.
>>LANG=ko xterm -e vim
>>
>>I executed vim to write a document in xterm.  When I tried to type any
>>key in vim, xterm was closed with 'Segmentation fault (core dumped)'
>>message.  Even if I would listen music with xmms.  Xmms was closed with
>>'Segmentation fault' message.
>>
>>I tested other language environment. below japanese.
>>LANG=ja xterm -e vim
>>
>>It works fine.
>>
>>I don't know what is problem.  Is there anybody that saw like this?
>
>I suspect newlib doesn't support that locale.  Here's what I read on
>
>http://www.mirror.ac.uk/mirror/sources.redhat.com/ftp/newlib/libc.html
>
>This is a minimal implementation, supporting only the required "C"
>value for locale; strings representing other locales are not honored
>unless MB_CAPABLE is defined in which case three new extensions are
>allowed for LC_CTYPE or LC_MESSAGES only: "C-JIS", "C-EUCJP", "C-SJIS",
>or "C-ISO-8859-1".  ("" is also accepted; it represents the default
>locale for an implementation, here equivalent to "C".)

I suspect you're right, although I've studiously avoided trying to
figure out how all of this locale stuff works.  Newlib's implementation
is very minimal and Cygwin uses newlib, so this is a Cygwin improvement
that is waiting for the donation of someone's time and expertise.

cgf