This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin XFree86 project.
Re: "Can't open display - Failed initializing GUI, exiting"
- From: Alexander Gottwald <alexander dot gottwald at s1999 dot tu-chemnitz dot de>
- To: cygwin-xfree at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:50:16 +0100 (MET)
- Subject: Re: "Can't open display - Failed initializing GUI, exiting"
- References: <email@example.com>
- Reply-to: cygwin-xfree at cygwin dot com
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Smagul wrote:
> Dear cygwin-xfree people,
> I am trying to compile xmgrace and to run under Cygwin. I have already
> compiled it
> successfully on my PC with my WindowsME. However, I could not get it to run
> Cygwin. When I type xmgrace, am getting ERROR message
> "Can't open display - Failed initializing GUI, exiting"
> Then I did
> $ export DISPLAY=:0
> and typed xmgrace. I again get the same error message. What is the problem?
> How can I fix it?
you have to start the xserver in advance. Type startxwin. this will start the
xserver (you'll notice an X in the traybar). Then you can start xmgrace with
http://www.gotti.org ICQ: 126018723