xwin hangs at startup - no xterm display

hello:
I did som more investigation.

when I startup xwin , I found there were xwin processes. If I killed one of them then xwindow comes up. However the xwin.log is constantly growing with the following message

winClipboardProc - Could not open display try:30 sleeping: 4
winClipboardProc - Could not open display try:31 sleeping: 4
winClipboardProc - Failed opening the display giving up

even though I have the xwindow up and running after manually killing one of the xwin process.

any ideas, comments?