Re: SecureCRT to Xwindows

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005, Joseph Abrahams wrote:

> Hi.  I am new to cygwin and xwindows.  I installed cygwin including all
> of the x11 packages and all of the net packages.  I configured SecureCRT
> to allow X11 forwarding, but when I try to run a remote program, it says
> it can't open the display.
>
> When I log onto my remote server, I am instructed to set the DISPLAY
> variable to "ettin:15.0" or something similar.  What is this?  I'm not
> exactly how to set the DISPLAY variables.

The meaning of the DISPLAY variable is described in
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#display-and-screen

you can set it in the shell you're using.
bash style:
$ DISPLAY=ettin:15.0
$ export DISPLAY
or
$ export DISPLAY=ettin:15.0
or (set variable only for the program to start)
$ DISPLAY=ettin:15.0 netscape

csh style:
$ setenv DISPLAY ettin:15.0

If you use ssh, you can rely on X11 Forwarding to set the DISPLAY correctly.

ssh -Y <remotehost>

if this does not work check the faq for trouble shooting information
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-ssh-no-x11forwarding

bye
	ago
--