Re: 30+ reasons why X-Win32 is Better than Cygwin/X

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Joseph Miller wrote:

> 3-D Hardware Acceleration for OpenGL - I am told that Cygwin/X supports this,
> but I use XWin_GL.exe.  What do they mean by this?

XWin_GL links to opengl32.dll from windows and uses hardware acceleration if the
video driver support it. Many video drives shipped with windows do not have full
OpenGL support eg for Nvidea you need the driver from their website to use
hardware OpenGL.

XWin.exe is linked to Mesa which renders OpenGL in software and is much slower.

But the accelerated OpenGL support still has some issues. Some programs do not
display anything or textures are broken and the OpenGL overlay does not integrate
smoothly with normal X11 windows.

> GDI Acceleration of X Graphics Primitives - I'm assuming this is a direct
> translation of X drawing routines to Windows drawing routines?  Like writing
> directly to the hDC?

Yes. XWin currently uses a framebuffer where all rendering is done and draws the
result into the window. For some operations this is slow. But I've not noticed any
major speed problems in daily use.

> Compensation for Cable Modem NATs (IPsmar) - I will probably look this one up
> myself.

If you're using a cable modem and want to run X on it you've already lost. From the
security view this is as good as writing your creditcard number on your webpage.

Use ssh in such cases. ssh will work even with NAT, most firewalls and it's secure!

> Last Session Terminate Support - how might this be implemented?  Perhaps I
> could check all top-level window titles for Cygwin?  Any recommendations?

The X11 specifications include a session manager specification. In theory you could
query the client for it's current state, store the state and restore it in the next
session. Gnome and KDE already use it.

You could check xsm and smproxy from the Xorg-x11 distribution.

> Anyone know how support for multiple users (Terminal Services) might be
> implemented?

It is available in X11 for years now. xdm will provide the login and multiple users
can connect to the xdm server simultaniously.

XWin coresponds to the Terminal service viewer not the server.

> I expect that all of the GUI/multiuser stuff can be added within a couple
> months or so.  I will also be working on remote sound support and enterprise
> level scalability.

Good to hear the number of people working on Cygwin/X is rising.

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de