Window Manager Problems?

Hello:

I am new to Cygwin-xfree86, but not new to Cygwin, Linux, or X-Windows.
My problem is starting a window manager. The default application just displays
a nice xterm with no rootwindow. However, if I display the rootwindow, the
Window Manager (decorations, menu bar, toolbar, etc. ) disappear.
What I would like is a window manager where I can right click and it would
popup a pulldown menu (or similar) of applications and have the window manager
decorations on all windows shown on the window manager.
Any idea how to do that?
If you have one that works can you please post your startx. or .xinitrc start up
scrip that does that (or email me yanowitzmjy@yahoo.com if you don't wish to
post globally).

Thanks in advance: