Re: Window Manager Problems?

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Michael Yanowitz wrote:

> Hello:
>
>    I am new to Cygwin-xfree86, but not new to Cygwin, Linux, or X-Windows.
> My problem is starting a window manager. The default application just
> displays
> a nice xterm with no rootwindow. However, if I display the rootwindow, the
> Window Manager (decorations, menu bar, toolbar, etc. ) disappear.

XWin basicly has two modes of operation. The multiwindow mode where every X11
window is shown as windows window and the windowed mode where the whole X11
desktop is shown as one window. The rootless and nodecoration mode is a variant
of the windowed mode.

Windowmangers do only work in the windowed mode. You'll have to start Xwin without
the -multiwindow parameter and start the windowmanager like twm or fvwm or wmaker.
startxwin.bat contains a line for starting twm but it is disabled

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de