Re: Corrupted overlapping pull-down menus

--- Timur Tabi <ttabi2@ammasso.com> wrote:

> Matthew Johnson wrote:
>
> > In fact, it is a oftne a really good idea to run
> > "cygcheck -svr > cygchout" and attach the file
> > 'cygchout' to email to this list, since many
> people
> > can spot the problem right away from that output.
>
> $ cygcheck -svr > cygchout
> cygcheck: dump_sysinfo: GetVolumeInformation()
> failed: 1
>
> I don't know if that error message means anything.

It can't be good, but we will have to wait for someone
more knowledgeable to comment on it.

I am more concerned about:

> Here are the
> contents of cygchout:
>

> Cygwin Configuration Diagnostics
> Current System Time: Mon Mar 14 09:44:48 2005
>
> Windows XP Professional Ver 5.1 Build 2600 Service
> Pack 1

Why are you still on SP1?

But I am even more concerned about:

[snip]

> XFree86-base            4.3.0-11
> XFree86-bin             4.3.0-21
> XFree86-bin-icons       4.3.0-7
> XFree86-doc             4.3.0-2
> XFree86-etc             4.3.0-12
> XFree86-f100            4.3.0-2
> XFree86-fcyr            4.3.0-2
> XFree86-fenc            4.3.0-2
> XFree86-fnts            4.3.0-2
> XFree86-fscl            4.3.0-2
> XFree86-fsrv            4.3.0-9
> XFree86-html            4.3.0-10
> XFree86-jdoc            4.3.0-2
> XFree86-lib             4.3.0-3
> XFree86-lib-compat      4.3.0-2
> XFree86-man             4.3.0-10
> XFree86-nest            4.3.0-8
> XFree86-prog            4.3.0-21
> XFree86-prt             4.3.0-6
> XFree86-ps              4.3.0-2
> XFree86-startup-scripts 4.3.0-1
> XFree86-vfb             4.3.0-8
> XFree86-xserv           4.3.0-68
> XFree86-xwinclip        4.3.0-3

Now I know the name of this list has 'xfree' in it,
but the XFree packages were recently pulled from the
list of packages supported by setup.exe, and indeed,
on the one of the three systems where I have installed
Cygwin/X where things work well, I have only ONE
'XFree86' package: it is 'XFree-86lib-compat'.

All my other X packages start with the prefix
'xorg-x11' And I see you have all these too.

In fact, if you launch the current version of
setup.exe, you will see that 'XFree-86lib-compat' is
the only one that is currently being installed: all
the others are listed with 'ZZZRemovedPackages'.

So I would recommend removing all the other XFree
packages. But again, you might want to wait until
someone more knowledgeable chips in. For it is far
from clear (to me) that removing these will solve your
problem.

[snip]