RE: Multiple XWin.exe programs loading and no xterm

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Scott Cegielski wrote:

> I wasn'y reffering to your situation specifically.  Even when the script is not
> executed twice, two Xwin.exe processes launch.  That is what I described in the
> first post of this thread.  As I learned, adding the -kb flag makes the second
> Xwin.exe die shortly after the initial launch, but my question is why two are

The XKB extension calls xkbcomp (an external program). This is done via fork. This
means for a short time there are two XWin processes but one of them is transformed
into an xkbcomp process later (check unix semantics for fork and exec for details).
In some cases (textmode mounted /tmp, Personal firewalls and virus scanners) break
the fork/exec calls. BTW: I've not heard any definitive answer if you have any of
the above mentiond programs running.
Disabling the XKB extension will result in not calling xkbcomp, so the lock disappears.

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de