Suggested FAQ wrt the port 6000 listener & software firewalls

Hi all,
 I was struggling with a problem where the cygwin/x startup scripts were unable to start X and I
didnt know why. No xterm... nothing. I found the problem was with my software firewall blocking
the listener on port 6000. Once I configured my firewall enabled XWin.exe to listen on port 6000,
the problem cleared up.

 Im suggesting the following FAQ (or something similar) to address the issue, especially after
seeing another such question on this lists archive.

Q: Why doesnt X start with any of the startup scripts? I never get an xterm window, and cannot
start any other X programs.

A: Ensure that any software firewalls installed on your computer allow XWin.exe to listen for
incoming connections on port 6000. Additional security can be achieved by limiting those incoming
connections to the localhost (also known as IP address 127.0.0.1)

Regards,

Steve

Yahoo! Mail not working?  Read the help pages, then call (408) 349-3300.