XWin -indirect

Hello.

I am having a problem with XWin -indirect, where the foreign machine cannot access my local X server. I have researched the mailing list archives, and found this thread to be very similar:

http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-xfree/2002-06/msg00331.html

But, it did not conclude with an answer that seemed useful to me. Or least, it was not an answer I understood.

My scenario:

-I have several development Solaris and Linux systems, which are running xdm, kdm, or dtlogin.

-I have several users running Windows XP with Cygwin/X. These users can connect to all of the Unix systems just fine with the invocation:

XWin -query target-ip-address

However, this means I have to manage several startup scripts for the users, edit and add to them, as target systems change, which they do here every couple of weeks. I have one system which is stable and non-changing, so I thought it might be useful to make one script which had the invocation:

XWin -indirect stable-target-system

And let the users select the system they wanted that day.

The problem:

Well, the user does get the list of systems, however, they can only access the system specified as the parameter to the "indirect" option. All of the other systems are blocked from accessing the XWin server on the user's machine, including the user's own machine. An excerpt from kdm log output on one of the Linux systems:

     Hung in XOpenDisplay(users_system_addr:0), aborting
     server open failed for users_system_addr:0, giving up

This seems like an access control problem with XWin at the user's system. I would like to run "xhost +" but the local system can't access XWin either. (Yes, I realize the security implications, but want to get it working first) I have tried establishing an "/etc/X0.host" file, but XWin seems to disregard it.

Could someone provide some insight, or point me in the right direction, please?

Thanks in advance,
Bill Schaffer

--

Let it snow