Re: XWin -indirect

Thanks!

That was the tip I needed. The one machine that couldn't access the others via "XWin -query" was the one I picked to test with. I went over to one of the other Win systems, did the "-indirect" and had no problems.

A Windows firewall issue.

I hate when that happens.

Thanks muchly,
-Bill

Alexander Gottwald wrote:
Bill Schaffer wrote:

The problem:

Well, the user does get the list of systems, however, they can only
access the system specified as the parameter to the "indirect" option.
 All of the other systems are blocked from accessing the XWin server
on the user's machine, including the user's own machine.  An excerpt
from kdm log output on one of the Linux systems:

     Hung in XOpenDisplay(users_system_addr:0), aborting
     server open failed for users_system_addr:0, giving up

This seems like an access control problem with XWin at the user's
system.  I would like to run "xhost +" but the local system can't
access XWin either.  (Yes, I realize the security implications, but
want to get it working first)  I have tried establishing an
"/etc/X0.host" file, but XWin seems to disregard it.

XDMCP overrides the xhost access system. More likely a firewall is blocking
access from the system. Are all hosts on the same network?

Running some tracing with tcpdump may help.

bye
        ago
NP: SITD - Wegweiser

--