RE: Cygwin Fonts

Ug.  Top-posting...  Reformatted.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > Subject: Re: Cygwin Fonts
> >
> > On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Bharat Ruparel wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Igor,
> > >
> > > I got your contact information while searching through Google and
> > > looking for an answer to my quest for using Fonts in cygwin or more
> > > correctly Cygwin/X.  I must admit that I am new to Cygwin and I don't
> > > know much about xwindows except that I have worked within the Solaris
> > > environment using the Hummingbird Exceed software quite a bit.
> >
> > Bharat,
> >
> > Sending Cygwin-related questions by personal mail is frowned upon in the
> > Cygwin community.  Questions about Cygwin are usually best sent to one of
> > the Cygwin mailing lists (in this case, the cygwin-xfree list -- see
> > <http://cygwin.com/lists.html#available-lists>).  Not only will you get
> > access to more expertise than any one person could provide, but your
> > questions and the answers to them will be archived on the web for others
> > to find.
> >
> > For your convenience, I'm Cc'ing this reply to the appropriate list, and
> > setting Reply-To accordingly.
> >
> > > I was trying to use Nedit editor in the Cygwin environment since that is
> > > what I was used to at my previous job.  To my joy, I found it in the
> > > Cygwin installation.  However, I have a problem using it in the Cygwin
> > > program. The fonts that I get when I execute "startx" are painfully
> > > small for a 50 year old like myself.  I am trying to make them bigger
> > > and have trouble understanding what needs to be done from the
> > > documentation that I see on the Cygwin site.  Could you help me out by
> > > giving instructions in simple steps that I can use to accomplish this
> > > task?
> >
> > If you're asking how to change fonts in nedit, I'd say the Nedit
> > maintainer would be a better person to answer this.  If it's the font size
> > of the initial xterm that bothers you, right-click on the xterm window
> > while pressing the Ctrl key, and select "Huge" from the fonts menu that
> > pops up.  You can also edit the .Xdefaults file in your home directory and
> > add the following line to it:
> >
> > XTerm*VT100*font: 10x20
> >
> > This changes the default font to something larger (the one that you get
> > with "Huge", in fact).
> >
> > HTH,
> > 	Igor
> > P.S. The cygwin-xfree list sets the Reply-To to the list address
> > automatically, so you may want to subscribe to cygwin-xfree to make sure
> > you haven't missed any replies...
>
> Hello Igor,
> My apologies for sending you a question by personal email, I simply didn't
> know any better.  From now on, I will post my question cygwin-xfree list as
> you indicated.

Bharat,

No need to apologize.  Proper netiquette is different in different
online communities.  No way to know them all...

Also, please review the available Cygwin lists for future posting.  This
list (cygwin-xfree) is for questions that relate to Cygwin/X.  If you have
general Cygwin questions, please use the main Cygwin list.

> Thanks for the tip, I was looking to make the fonts in the initial xterm
> window and what you just told me works great!  It would be nice if these
> things were included in the documentation section somewhere on the Cygwin
> site.  It is a great product which people like myself could benefit from if
> the information was a bit easier to find.

FYI, this information was in no way Cygwin-specific.  A Google search for
"xterm fonts" finds lots of recipes for this in the first page of matches.

For this kind of information, the Cygwin/X FAQ is a good place to look.
The commands I listed come almost directly from the xterm man page (see
the RESOURCES section and the fontMenu part of the MENUS section).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT