Re: xterm and right click and 'print window'

Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote in
Pine.GSO.4.61.0506081742290.27559@slinky.cs.nyu.edu:">news:Pine.GSO.4.61.0506081742290.27559@slinky.cs.nyu.edu:

> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, J. David Boyd wrote:
>
>> Has anyone found a way to make this feature work, on any version of
>> windows, with any printer?
>
> This works for me.  WinXP, networked printer.  As long as the PRINTER
> variable is exported.
>
>> I've had no luck so far, and am grasping for clues.
>>
>> I've defined my $PRINTER as //quantex2/hplaserj, which prints okay
>> from windows, but not cygwin.
>
> Open a regular bash window (no X), and type "echo $PRINTER".  If that
> prints the correct thing, try "bash -c 'echo $PRINTER'".  If that
> works too, type "xterm -display 127.0.0.1:0", and from that xterm type
> "echo $PRINTER".  If you see the correct printer in all 3 cases, the
> "Print Window" command should work (it does for me).
>
> Alternatively, since all xterm does is pipe stuff to lpr, does "lpr -P
> //quantex2/hplaserj /etc/passwd" print /etc/passwd to that printer
> (just to make sure lpr works)?
>      Igor

All the variable expansion looks fine, so maybe it is an lpr problem.

When I try the command line

"lpr -P //quantex2/HPLaserJ /etc/passwd"

I get the error printer name is invalid.

When I go back to what my profile set up, which is
"HP LaserJet 6P", I actually get output.  I was thinking all along
that I couldn't use that name, but perhaps cygwin's lpr has been
patched to use the windows resource name?

I also noticed that nothing came out of the printer until I
sent another file...

And, are you setup for DOS endings or Unix?

So, I can print from the command line.  But, after closing my
terms and opening some new ones (just to be sure I have the correct
environment), and verifying that $PRINTER is still "HP LaserJet 6P",
I get nothing from 'Print window', and I don't see any errors.
I wonder if there is a log somewhere that I can peruse.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I guess I won't worry about it
for now.  I can always do an Alt-PrtScn and paste it
somewhere to print it.

Dave