Re: Duplication error upon startx with XWin :0; No terminal withXWin :1

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Angus Veitch wrote:

First of all, thanks to Alexander and Igor for responding to my last
message. I'm edging my way forward, but haven't seen the light just yet.
I'm still not having much success running startx or xdmcp.  It's even
possible that some of what I am observing is perfectly healthy, and it
is my expectations or understanding of the program that are wrong.
Since I don't know whether all my problems are related, I'll deal with
startxwin.bat in this email and with startxdmcp.bat in the next one.
Sorry for all the logs!

I'm running a freshly downloaded cygwin/x, and am trying to connect WinXP to a
(nearly) freshly installed Linux box running MEPIS.

If I run startxwin.bat with the line "XWin :0 -multiwindow -clipboard
-silent-dup-error", I successfully load a terminal, but attempting to run
startx invokes: "Fatal server error: InitOutput - Duplicate invocation on
display number: 0."  The full XWin.log follows:
[snip]

If it really is a duplicate invocation on the same window station, you should have an "X" icon in your system tray. You could quit the current X server, and your new one would come up.

I can't find any other xwin processes running (perhaps I don't know what to
look for),

ps -W | grep -i xwin

but to keep xwin happy, I instead run startxwin.bat with "XWin :1
(...etc)".  The result is that I get no terminal at all  -- the cygwin/x
window is just a blank grey screen.  The XWin.log follows:

Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 6.8.2.0-3

Contact: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com

XWin was started with the following command line:

/usr/X11R6/bin/XWin :1 -multiwindow -clipboard -silent-dup-error
[snip]
winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress
winClipboardProc - winClipboardFlushWindowsMessageQueue trapped WM_QUIT
message, exiting main loop.
winClipboardProc - XDestroyWindow succeeded.

winClipboardIOErrorHandler!

winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress

So, my question is: Why is the terminal missing when I run startwinx.bat
with display number :1 rather than :0?

You're basically attempting to start two multiwindow window managers on the same underlying Windows desktop. If I understand this correctly, the multiwindow manager needs some sort of exclusive access to the underlying Windows interface to delegate all of the window handling, and having more than one of them makes them interfere with each other.

Try starting the second XWin without the -multiwindow parameter, and see
if it helps.  You don't want -multiwindow for XDMCP anyway.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
     |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT