Re: Duplication error upon startx with XWin :0; No terminal withXWin :1

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> You're basically attempting to start two multiwindow window managers on
> the same underlying Windows desktop.  If I understand this correctly, the
> multiwindow manager needs some sort of exclusive access to the underlying
> Windows interface to delegate all of the window handling, and having more
> than one of them makes them interfere with each other.
>
> Try starting the second XWin without the -multiwindow parameter, and see
> if it helps.  You don't want -multiwindow for XDMCP anyway.

No. It's not the window manager. It's the network layer of X11. The display
number refers to the TCP port (6000+$n) and the unix socket
/tmp/.X11-unix/X$n.
If you try to start more than one xserver with the same display it will fail
to bind to the TCP port but create the unix socket anyway. This leads to
strange results, so we added the check with the mutex.

So the rule is: Different display numbers per XWin or xserver process.

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de