RE: Initial run of BASH doesn't initialize home directory

With all due respect, Igor, I think you missed my point.

The point is this:

1) I ran the Cygwin "setup.exe" and the Cygwin/X "setup.exe" (a distinction
made by the cygwin.com web site itself) on the same computer.
2) The Cygwin/X installation gave me grief as mentioned in my initial post.
3) The Cygwin installation gave me no grief and worked perfectly.

Therefore, my conclusion was that there's something different between the
two installation routines--is this not a rational conclusion?

I apologize for not including the output of "cygcheck -svr". I no longer
have Cygwin/X installed so this will have to wait until tomorrow.

Based on what I mentioned above, is this still something I should take to
the Cygwin list?

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Thomas Smith wrote:

> I was able to get Cygwin to run without problems and then decided to try
> Cygwin/X to take advantage of X.
>
> I completely uninstalled Cygwin...

Why?!

> ...as follows:
>
> - Deleted the Desktop and Start Menu shortcuts.
> - Deleted C:\cygwin
> - Deleted Cygnus Solutions from the Registry.
>
> I removed all of the downloaded source Cygwin files and started the
> Cygwin/X installer--everything seems to install correctly. The only

There is no such thing as a Cygwin/X installer.  There is a Cygwin
installer which installs the xorg-* family of Cygwin packages.

> non-default packages I select are:
>
> gcc
> vim
> nano
> inetutils
> openssh
> xorg-x11-base
> xorg-x11-devel
> xorg-x11-man-pages
>
> When I start the Cygwin Bash Shell for the first, I get dropped to a
> shell prompt and placed in /usr/bin. My Home directory isn't created and
> the general Cygwin environment doesn't work--that is, I'm not able to
> execute any commands. In fact, no files even appear in /usr/bin.

This isn't an X-related problem, and thus belongs on the main Cygwin list.
Please remove cygwin-xfree from further messages.

> I've researched this problem and haven't been able to locate a solution.
> I'm also not sure how to start troubleshooting it.
>
> Any ideas as to how I can start troubleshooting this problem?

Please read and follow the Cygwin problem reporting guidelines at
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.  Please pay particular attention to the
part that asks you to attach the output of "cygcheck -svr".

It might also help to know how you're starting bash.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu