Re: compiling flpsed under Cygwin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Dessent" <brian@dessent.net>
To: "Cygwin List" <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Cc: <cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 1:15 AM
Subject: Re: compiling flpsed under Cygwin

"Stephen P. Harris" wrote:
I think fltk compiles and installs ok. The ./configure for
flpsed fails after finding fltk-config at the next two lines:

Checking for open in -lX11 ... no
Error LixXll.so not found [doesn't come with Cygwin]

You need the -devel package installed (xorg-x11-devel) and then you can link with -lX11. Again, this is why we ask for people to post the output of "cygcheck -svr" when asking for help so that we can see what packages you have installed.

Brian

You are responding on the mailing list in which I posted:

"I use xfree86 as my x server for my cygwin windows lyx,
perhaps there is a conflict? I have all the files for both
Xfree and X11 org installed and the compatibility file.
There is no LibXll.so native to my computer."

Since all includes (xorg-x11-devel) your advice must be
speculative since that is not the solution. I only want speculative advice from someone who has succeeded
in compiling flpsed. You use the term "we" ... I hope
you are not representative of the caliber of support
available on this mailing list. Brian wrote:

"If you are still using the ancient XFree86 packages you would be very well advised to remove them and install the xorg-x11-* packages. From the standpoint of the application it doesn't matter, X11 is X11."

Previously SH wrote:
Claus also includes a startxwin.bat; so maybe I could
change it easily or maybe not, it it ain't broke don't fix it.

I don't see how you could be sure that the script will
work just as well with either X-org or Xfree?? Unless
you know the syntax for both services are exactly the
same; otherwise you would have to read the script in
order to know that and I don't believe that somebody who can't be bothered to read this thread before posting
took the time to examine the content of startwinx.bat
so that you could be in a position to make an informed
remark to the effect that the script is universal because
the syntax of the script is exactly the same for both servers.

I did not ask whether Xfree was deprecated in favor of Xorg. What you wrote indicates that it is not the choice of active
server which dictates whether flpsed will compile or not, as
long as the requisite libraries are installed for Xorg-devel.

I did not ask for your opinion on matters that did not have
a direct bearing on the compilation of flsped. Nor do I
value anyone's speculative opinion who has not compiled
flpsed, and you especially since you are inattentive to detail.
I'm being polite; however I have no confidence that a word to the wise will be sufficient. You come across as a college kid.

Brian wrote:
If you are still using the ancient XFree86 packages you would be very well advised to remove them and install the xorg-x11-* packages.

Pontificate on your own dime. My point has nothing to do with
the correctness of your advice, but the irrelevancy of it to flpsed.

Don't you or any of your ilk waste my time any more,
Stephen