Re: compiling flpsed under Cygwin

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 12:02:55PM -0700, Stephen P. Harris wrote:
>I did not ask for your opinion on matters that did not have a direct
>bearing on the compilation of flsped.  Nor do I value anyone's
>speculative opinion who has not compiled flpsed, and you especially
>since you are inattentive to detail.  I'm being polite; however I have
>no confidence that a word to the wise will be sufficient.  You come
>across as a college kid.

Actually, sorry but you are not being polite.

You are not providing enough details to debug your problem so any
attempts to help you are going to be purely speculative.

The details you have provided are

0. You can't configure flpsed:

   "But when I progressed to the flpsed-0.3.5
    ./configure --with-cygwin , it went aways and then exited
    with the last two lines after checking and finding fltk-config:

    checking for open in -lX11 ... no
    Error LibX11.so not found"

1. you may be using an old version of X11

   "I use xfree86 as my x server for my cygwin windows lyx" (sic)

2. but you also X11.org installed

   "I have all the files for both Xfree and X11 org installed..."

3. but not to worry because you also have

   "the compatibility file".

4. You think you're missing a LibX11.so (sic) file, so you've copied
   one from a linux system to your windows system.

   "There is no LibXll.so native to my computer. I stole one from a
   Debian Xlib file (sic), desperately..."

5. You are unclear on how to use ./configure.

   "I am weak on command line ./configure syntax"

To take these in order:

0. Cygwin/Windows do not use .so files.  Windows uses dlls.  xorg-devel distributes
   a libX11.dll.a file which should have been found by the configure script.
   The fact that it was not found suggests that you have not installed the xorg-devel
   package.  Hence Brian's suggestion and his lament that if you'd provided
   the details requested at http://cygwin.com/problems we'd know just what
   you do or don't have installed.

1. If you are truly using XFree86 then you're off-topic for this mailing
   list.  We don't support XFree86 anymore.

2. If you have somehow managed to install both XFree86 and Xorg on the same
   system, then you are, again, on your own as far as configuration problems
   go.

3. I doubt that anyone knows what "the compatibility file" is.

4. Assuming that a linux shared library will work on Windows demonstrates that
   you should not be casting aspersions on people who are trying to help you
   because you obviously need a lot of help.

5. Ditto.

>Don't you or any of your ilk waste my time any more,

I'm afraid that I probably qualify as being of Brian's "ilk" so you
probably think your time is being wasted by this message but I suspect
that the legion of flpsed-capable people waiting in the wings to help
you must have better things to do with their time than give you the
detailed instructions you are apparently expecting.

So, that just leaves people like Brian who try to help by first getting
you into a known state and then trying to help figure out what is going
on from general principles.  When I have a problem, I usually expect
that no one is going to have my exact setup and hope that someone might
try to help me figure things out.  I find someones of that sort of "ilk"
relatively rare and I'm usually rather grateful for their help.

Apparently, YMMV.

cgf