Re: 1.5.18: I give up...

David Masterson wrote:

I guess I'll give Cygwin some time to "mature" and come back to it in the
future.

It is all working here very well. (XP SP2 latest updates) It is obviously something with your setup.
Maybe an old cygwin1.dll somewhere. Or an extra local Firewall, or all local ports close, or ...

But if it is only X you need try out Xming (googleit) . It has a nice simple Installer and not so many things to break up.