RE: Can I close the startx cygwin shell?

There is possibility that wmaker aborted.
XWin.exe starts the X display mgr.
If you're not using multiwindow on XP desktop
then X window mgr process is twm or wmaker, etc.
I get confused between the terms xdm and xwm,
and sometimes I wonder if I am using the right
(or left) terminology.

Without icons and an xterm that has no titles
and which cannot be moved sounds just like
your xterm is thrown onto a virgin xdm
without an xwm.
Wmaker having set the xdm background before dying
would give an impression wmaker is still on.
What does ps -ef say? Is wmaker in the list?
If not, the question would be why wmaker aborted.