Re: Matlab Segmentation Fault error

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, René Berber wrote:

> Joe Andersen wrote:
>
> > Not sure if this is a Cygwin problem, but it seems to be. I just
> > installed cygwin so I could run Matlab on the unix servers at school
> > from my windows laptop. Now that I;ve got rid of zonealarm, cygwin
> > generallty works fine. However, when I try to run matlab after having
> > ssh'ed to crest (our server), I get "segmentation fault" and matlab
> > doesn't run.
> >
> > Here is how I log on:
> >
> > Joe@orac ~
> > $ ssh -X -l **** crest.***
>
> I assume you started X windows first on your laptop.
>
> > ****@crest.***'s password:
> > Last login: Mon Aug 29 15:59:01 2005 from ****
> > [***@crest ~]$ matlab
> > Segmentation fault
>
> This is happening on the server, not your laptop, so the problem may be
> on the server.  Have you tried running matlab on an X terminal connected
> directly to the server?
>
> > start matlab with the following flags
> > -nojvm -nodisplay -nosplash -nodisplay
> >
> > (in various combinations) Is there something I should change settings
> > wise to make things work? Or is SSh the wrong protocol here?
>
> Ssh should not cause any problem, I use it all the time to have a
> graphical interface for Solaris and Linux.  You just have to make sure
> that the environment variable DISPLAY is set correctly (on the server)
> and that your host (laptop in this case) has security permission to
> access the X server (xhost +<laptop name or address>).

A couple of comments: this is almost certainly a bug in Matlab or one of
the libraries it uses -- it should not crash like this.  Also, this is an
X-related issue, and thus belongs on the cygwin-xfree list, not the main
one -- please direct all follow-ups there (should happen automatically
with the current Reply-To).

That said, you may find
<http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-ssh-no-x11forwarding>
helpful for finding a workaround for your problem.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu