Re: Grey screen problem

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 09:47:13AM -0400, Francois Couillard wrote:
> Ken Dibble wrote:
>
> >>On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 03:20:09PM -0400, Francois Couillard wrote:
> >>I'm using windows 2000 to connect to a Debian Sarge server.
> >>
> >>Using Cygwin, I'm typing xwin -query myip to connect to my Debian
> >>server. Theres only a grey screen that appears with an 'x' cursor. I
> >>also tried xwin -query hostip -from clientip without success.
> >>
> >>The .log says: Could not init font path element
> >>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID, removing from list.
> >>
> >>Looking at the FAQ, they say to
> >>Open a Cygwin shell and run *umount /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts*.
> >>
> >>When I type this, it just says "theres no such file or directory" even
> >>though it exists.
> >>
> >>I reinstalled the font components and it didn't work
> >>
> >>I can connect with my server using ssh without problem.
> >>
> >>Someone got the same problem on the mailing list at
> >>http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-xfree/2005-03/msg00017.html
> >>
> >>So I checked the FAQ, the mailing list and even the #cygwin room on MIRC
> >>and can't find a decent answer.
> >>

> >On the debian box, does the file /etc/ssh/sshd_config contain
> >a line that says:
> >
> >X11Forwarding yes
> >
> >and does the file /etc/gdm/gdm.conf contain
> >
> >Enable=true
> >
> >Additionally you cannot login as root if
> >/etc/gdm/gdm.conf contains the default line of
> >
> >AllowRoot=false
> >

> >Before changing any of the default settings it is a good
> >idea to read about X security and understand the implications
> >of what you are changing.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Ken
> >

> I forgot to say it but I already changed thoses values (Except AllowRoot).
>
> I just tried AllowRoot = true and it still doesn't work.

  This just handles the case where you try and login from
  the login screen using the username root.

> How can I start Xwin with another login than root? I though the GNOME
> login screen would ask me to log in?

I remember this happening to me.

If I recall correctly the problem was that the gnome login
screen announces itself with a sound.

Depending on which sound configuration you have, you get a blank
grey screen.

Again if I recall correctly the problem was the esd sound driver
not liking remote X sessions.

YMMV.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Ken