Using Cygwin instead of SFU 3.5?

 Hello
What got me into Cygwin and the problems I'm having is the need to practice
with a product prior to a Proof of Concept.
The product has a fairly complex install - which I will take a step at a
time. It can run in various Unix flavours and Windows. However, for Win it
states that you need to install Services For Unix 3.5. I've not been able to
get the download to work. So I decided to try reversing things by installing
in Vmware/Linux and accessing from Win.

>From what I have seen ('learned' is perhaps too strong a word) over the past
two days, Cygwin - or maybe it's just the bash shell - might be able to
function as a substitute.

As of now, I have no idea how the product invokes SFU, neither to I have any
idea how the product (or any other) would invoke Cygwin 'from outside', so
to speak.

Can anyone offer a clue as to how I can integrate Cygwin in to Windows so
that it will support apps running in Windows like my product? Could it be as
simple as adding to PATH permanently, the same directories used in
startxwin.bat?