persistent DISPLAY variable

I have been using Cygwin XFree for several years now and it has worked great. I mainly use it on Windows using XWin -ac -query 100.100.100.100 or similar to connect via XDMCP. This has been working great.

I am quite experienced in X and Unix and know many of the X config files. At least I thought I did!

Lately, my hostname seems to have been changed here at work and my PC now has a new hostname than it has had for the past few years. Consequently, I am unable to make XWin connect as it used to. I get an "Unable to open display oldhostname:0.0" message. My problem is that for the life of me I can not see where it could be getting "oldhostname" from. I have grepped every file I can think of under the Cygwin installation - in my home directory and all over and I can not find this name anywhere. I searched the Windows registry and do not see it. I do not see it set in Windows variables or Cygwin variables. I have repeatedly checked the DISPLAY variable and it is either not defined at all or I set it manually. If I define it manually in Cygwin before invoking XWin, XWin *still* tries to open a display at "oldhostname:0.0", not "newhostname:0.0". I've looked in files in Cygwin's /etc directory and can't find any reference to "oldhostname".

As I recall, did XWin previously automagically set the DISPLAY variable? I just have an icon on my XP destop that has the properties Xwin -ac -query machineA. In XP there is no DISPLAY variable set. I do not see where XWin used to get the DISPLAY variable from. Is there a config file I am forgetting about?

I am not using startx.bat or starxwin.bat or anything else. Just a direct invocation of Xwin.exe. But somehow Xwin.exe seems to be trying to open a DISPLAY at oldhostname:0.0 rather than newhostname:0.0 no matter what I do. Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!