Re: Basic question 1 - Traffic

Herbert Eppel wrote:
No doubt this is a very basic question, and I'm not sure whether it is really a question for this group or whether I should direct it to the authors and/or user group of the ESP-r software, but I wonder whether someone could shed some light on why Cygwin/X (or perhaps it is just the individual components of the ESP-r software I am running?) triggers ZoneAlarm access permission alerts and generates constant internet traffic (or perhaps only 'trusted zone' traffic?) as indicated by ZoneAlarm?

Chances are that you're seeing Cygwin/X connect to itself via TCP. This is normal.

Furthermore, Zone Alarm is a source of problems for many Cygwin/X users. The two are known to conflict. See http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html.