Re: XWin hangs on opening xterms, correspondence with setup hangs ??

Christopher Faylor <cgf-no-personal-reply-please <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 09:41:00AM +0000, Norbert Harendt wrote:
> >Norbert Harendt <n.harendt <at> ib-eckerl.de> writes:
> >I encounter shell-hangs with cygwin also when using cygwins setup, so i
> >post the problem also under
> >http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin/70104 because i think it has
> >something to do with deadlocks or errors in communication in
> >dll-subroutine calls
>
> This is very unlikely.
>
> You really don't seem to know anything about this issue so I don't
> think that postulating on the problem is going to be helpful.
>
> --

OK. What i can see, is that calling or running the shell causes the problems
in my case. XWin is coming up and running fine, i get the logon screen of the
remote server and everything seems to be fine. But if i try to open an xterm
on the remote server, XWin seems to hang, no grafical update, nothing happens
(with enough patience you can watch this going on forever). When i kill the
second XWin.exe suddenly the xterm appears and everything is working fine
again, except for the heavy cpu-load, which was not present in my former
installation.
Summarizing this together with the problems running sh.exe during setup i
think that some internal action during the invocation of the shell process
might cause the problem. I don't really know the details because i didn't
examine the source code. But to me it doesn't look like a failure of the
xserver or client window itself but like a problem of one type of process
(invoking the shell)