Re: XDMCP issues

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 10:10:54AM +0200, Loic Domaigne wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I'm trying to get a remote Linux/KDE desktop from my XP box using cygwin.
> Following the FAQ and various posts, I have proceeded as follows:
>
> 1) I made sure that XDMCP is enable on the linux box.
>
> 2) In a cygwin shell, I started XWin.exe:
> $ XWin.exe -query linux_box -from my_XP_box
>
> 3) I got a X-window with grey shading, but no kde logging session.
>
> 4) After a while, I obtained the error message:
> Fatal server error:
> XDMCP fatal error: Session failed Session 329792025 failed for display
> my_XP_box:0: cannot open display
>

> Does have someone an idea what's going wrong?

It sounds almost like a permissions/security problem, i.e. your XP box
won't *allow* a remote XDMCP to open the display.  I do what you;re
trying to do on Windows 2000 and I don't remember any problems like
this but it may well be that XP is being more 'secure'.

You can 'ping my_XP_box' from the Linux box OK can you?

--
Chris Green (chris@areti.co.uk)

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."