Re: XWin hangs on opening xterms, correspondence with setup hangs ??

Larry Hall (Cygwin X <reply-to-list-only-lh-x <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> Norbert Harendt wrote:
> > Larry Hall (Cygwin X <reply-to-list-only-lh-x <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> >>Perhaps it makes sense to look at why you have a second XWin running.
> >>

> > OK. I don't know at that time, why there is a second XWin.exe starting.
> > Yes i also think, that this is the clue to the problem. The start of the
> > second XWin.exe must happen internally, because the script starting
> >    XWin -clipboard -lesspointer -query 192.168.1.100 -once
> > calls XWin.exe only once. At the time of the program call is no other
XWin.exe
> > running. Is there a possibility to view what is happening internally,
extended
> > logging features or somethins else ??
>
> I don't know.  But perhaps it's better to come at this from the other
> direction.  If you can provide a small test case/script that reproduces the
> problem for you, then others on the list could verify whether or not they
> see the same problem.

That is very simple, i start cygwin calling
   bin\bash --login -i
Inside bash i call
   XWin -clipboard -lesspointer -query 192.168.1.100 -once
and that's all.

Using my former installation of cygwin from that point on everything happend
without problems. I used Cygwin/X-window as the local display server for
the remote applications on our linux-server. And this changed with the
update of the local cygwin installation:

What is now happening is also described in the former postings:
the Cygwin/X-window opens and freezes just upon opening, so you can see
only the frame of the window, but not the inside, which doesn't change
even with much much patience.
So, when i kill the second XWin.exe (which appears out of nowhere, i didn't
call it!) in the task manager, the inside of the Cygwin/X-window fills as
it should be: the login screen of our linux-server appears and everything
is running fine, as if nothing unusal happened.

I can login and open applications on the remote server sending their output
to the Cygwin/X-window as it should be. But every time i start an xterm the
Cygwin/X-window freezes again, without showing the xterm, and this doesn't
change even with much patience. So after killing the second XWin.exe, which
seemingly was started by the call of the xterm, the Cygwin/X-window behaves
as usual: xterm window appears and Cygwin/X-window is fully functional (..
until the next call of xterm).

But i also encounter problems running cygwins setup.exe: when it comes to the
postinstalls, setup also hangs, because the envoced shells freeze on starting.
So i think, the real problem is the way shells are started in the actual
version of cygwin.