connection to "<hostname>:0.0" refused by server when running viaXDMCP

Hello, all,

I use cygwin/x to make my Windows PC a X Windows terminal: I connect to
my GNU/Linux machine via XDMCP. Everything works fine as long as I don't
want to change the user.

However, when I try to execute a program as a different user, I get the
following error message:

$ su sabine xterm
Xlib: connection to "dhcp0.europe.localnet:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

xterm Xt error: Can't open display: dhcp0.europe.localnet:0.0

(dhcp0.europe.localnet is the name of the Windows PC where cygwin/x
runs)

Any hint about how to fix this is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Reinhard