Serious X problem, cannot start xterm.

Hello,

I have no idea what is happening, IIRC I updated recently the package
X-startup-scripts, however I use startxwin.sh and there no changes at
all (why was the package updated?), all other X11 related package are
current as before.

Now when running the script I get this output when xterm should start:

$ startxwin.sh

gerrit@INSPIRON /perl
$ _X11TransSocketOpenCOTSClient: Unable to open socket for tcp
_X11TransOpen: transport open failed for tcp/127.0.0.1:0
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: 127.0.0.1:0.0
Welcome to the XWin X Server
[...]

This is on my notebook with XP installed.  Also later after XWin strtup
is finished (including the window manager twm) I cannot start xterm,
getting the same error.

Probably the same reason causes the issue I have with ssh here:

$ ssh sourceware.org
ssh: sourceware.org: no address associated with name
lost connection

Any ideas?

Gerrit
--