Re: Mutex init failure trying to run Scribus

Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
[snip]
> As this is an apparent regression, if you could track this down in the
> cygwin1.dll, I'm sure Corinna and cgf would like to know about it on the
> main list.
> (I, for one, won't be very happy if my programs stop working when 1.5.19
> comes out!)

Yes, I know.  But as I said, I'm unable to run this under gdb; tried strace on
scribus (when it was stuck) and there was no output at all.

I installed the .dbg file along with the latest snapshot.

>> I could not build qt3 with debug enabled because the build also fails
>> with a
>> mutex problem.

Actually the library builds fine with debug info, it's the Designer and its
plugins where the build fails... but I need gdb working, even tried 2 different
versions of gdb and also Microsoft's WinDbg, all show the same problem "Program
received signal SIGSEGV ... in pthread_key_create".  I'll look into this
tomorrow, I've used gdb under XWindows in HP-UX and Solaris but this is the
first time under Cygwin/X, perhaps something is different.

[snip]
>> But those
>> messages and the uic hanging do point out that there are problems with
>> pthreads as used by qt3.
>
> This is with 1.5.18 or the snapshot?

With both cygwin1.dll, the message always appears the only difference is that
with the snapshot the program just terminates.

[snip]
> I've been waiting on 3.3.5 since, when it first came out, it would not
> get along with KDE 3.4 (or the other way around), and it's still
> hard-masked in Gentoo.

I took a look at the 3.3.5 code using XEmacs egrep to see the difference btw.
3.3.4 patched (from Cygwin ports) and this one, there really is not much
difference, some double buffering used, some new calls that look like bug
corrections.  Anyway I was unable to build 3.3.5, early it complains about not
finding a qt_windows.h file, somehow even with the "-platform cygwin-g++" the
configuration code doesn't set the right defines.

> 4.0.1 (and the soon-to-be-released 4.1.0) are entirely different; these
> will eventually become a qt4 package (parallel installable with our
> qt3), but only after it stabilizes more.

Thanks for your reply.
- --
René Berber