Re: Mozilla, etc. via Cygwin/X

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Chris Green wrote:
> >
> > > Maarika,
> > >
> > > Please reply to the list, then everyone can help and learn.

> > I wonder if this is the issue with untrusted X forwarding (i.e.,
> > <http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-ssh-no-x11forwarding>)?
> >
> > > We need more information:-
> > >     What system you are running Cygwin/X on
> > >     What system you are running mozilla on
> > >     What commands you are running
> > >     What error messages you are seeing (if any)
> > >     What's in the Cygwin/X error log

> > > Yes.

> > > I am using it within a LAN, it's not a practical proposition do do it
> > > over a larger/slower network.
> >
> > Turns out it's possible to use ssh X forwarding to run XDMCP over ssh.
> > I'll give the same advice I gave a year and a half ago
> > (<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2004-06/msg00201.html>), but with
> > a twist: remove the quotes from the Google search string for a really
> > cool XDMCP over ssh recipe.
> >
> > See below for the slower network comment.

> > > The remote (client) needs to be running xdm (or a dolled up version
> > > such as wdm, kdm or gdm) as well and it needs to be configured
> > > right.
>
> no need for anything except an X client app, and either xauth set
> right, or X forwarding over ssh.  It's the -X and/or -Y options to
> ssh, but you may need to edit sshd_config on the ssh server to enable
> it.

That's what the FAQ entry I pointed to says.  However, the comment about
setting xdm was in reply to the XDMCP question, and the information is
still valid -- you do need ?dm set up to get an XDMCP connection.  You
also need reverse DNS lookups to work, which (again) the XDMCP section of
the FAQ (link below) mentions quite clearly.

> > In addition, there's a whole XDMCP section in FAQ:
> > <http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#xdmcp>.  But if
> > you tunnel it through ssh, XDMCP isn't really running on the Cygwin/X
> > server anyway.
> >
> > > Having seen this second question of yours, are you trying to run
> > > mozilla across an ADSL or similar connection?  I very occasionally
> > > do this but it's very, very, slow - like it can take minutes for the
> > > display to update, I only do it if I absolutely have to.
> >
> > If you do use ssh X forwarding, ssh compression may help.  You can
> > turn it up to +C9.
>
> You want to try a package called NX.  It's GPL code based on xfree,
> with a commercial variant.  www.nomachine.com for the client (it's
> based on cygwin's X server, so delete the antique copies of cygwin
> DLLs it installs under it's own directory), and
> http://freenx.berlios.de/ for the server.  It's a bit of a pain to set
> up, but it is VERY fast and low-bandwidth.

But be aware that we don't support third-party apps on the Cygwin lists,
so you'd need to contact the providers of NX with any problems you have.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"